Boston is the capital and the biggest city of Massachusetts, one of the oldest cities in US. Boston is one of the most beautiful cities in US. Moving to Boston has its positive and negative features. Here, we are giving you the most important facts about Boston you should know before you hire Boston Movers for your move to Boston. One thing is for sure – this city offers you a great number of opportunities.
- Great work opportunities.
Boston has one very good and strong economy. This city provides jobs for million people in almost every business environment. For instance, there are many universities and colleges in Boston, that attract high-tech industries to the city and the surrounding region.
- History and culture
At the beginning, Boston was a small establishment, beside three hills on the mouth of the Charles River, for puritan families called ‘Trimountain’.
During the battle for independence, Boston was home to historic figures such as Benjamin Franklin, Paul Revere and John Quincy Adams. In 1638, US’s first college – the Harvard College later to become Harvard University, was founded across the Charles River in Cambridge. Interesting places to visit are the Boston Harbor Islands National Park, Harvard University and Harvard Square, Museum of Fine Arts, New England Holocaust Memorial, Prudential Skywalk Observatory & Exhibit and many others.
- Traffic Problems:
Like many of the cities in US, Boston has major traffic problems. With the population growth hence the number of cars, driving in Boston is quite a challenge. Even though the interstate highway is goes under the city, sometimes there are huge traffic jams. Sometimes it may take you a lot of time to reach your destination, especially during rush hour.
In addition to the traffic jams, most times inexperienced drivers in Boston find it difficult to navigate their way across the town. You have to bell well orientated, otherwise you may rove in the city for hours until you arrive at the right place.
- Cold winters:
July is the average warmest month – up to 80 °F, and the coolest month is January. The lowest registered temperature is -30°F – in 1946. Usually, Boston has very cold and snowy winters. March is the rainiest month.
Interesting facts about Boston:
- Boston was founded on September 17, 1630 by Puritan colonists from England.
- Boston is very compact. Of the cities in United States with more than 600,000 people population, only San Francisco is smaller in land area than Boston.
- Boston is often called “city of many neighborhoods” because of the large number of neighborhoods in Boston. There are 21 neighborhoods in total in Boston.
Here is a complete list of the neighborhoods in Boston:
- Allston/Brighton, Back Bay, Bay Village, Beacon Hill, Charlestown, Chinatown/Leather District, Dorchester, Downtown/Financial District, East Boston, Fenway/Kenmore, Hyde Park, Jamaica Plain, Mattapan, Mission Hill, North End, Roslindale, Roxbury, South Boston, South End, West End, and West Roxbury.
- Currently there are around 620 000 people residing in the city.
- Science the early 1990s, Boston has seen a great reduction in violent crime.
- Boston shares many of its cultural roots with greater New England. One of those roots is a dialect on non-rhotic Eastern New England. That’s why it’s sometimes called Boston English.
Posted on Jan 13, 2010; Last updated: Jan 30, 2015
Find Best Movers Near You - Local & Long Distance Movers Reviews
Select your state below: