There are many things that you should do before moving. Moving from one place to another can be a stressful experience. That’s why we suggest you to use a checklist that with the most important tasks you need to accomplish to ensure a successful move. Here are some of the most important things you should do before moving:
- Sell things you don’t need anymore. Moving is the perfect opportunity to get rid of stuff you no longer use or need. Give any unsold items you don’t need to charity. This is the most important thing to do before moving in or out. This will decrease the overall moving cost on your move. You are now ready to start packing.
- Start packing early. Not much to say about this rule really. You need to start packing at least one month earlier or you will be forced to stay all night packing to finish in time. Also when you pack, we recommend you to use stickers placed on the boxes, so it will be much easier to re-organize your belongings at your new place.
- Change your address and get your mail forwarded. Fill out a Change of Address form to notify the post office about your new address. You don’t want your newspapers, magazines or even some important mail to be delivered to your old address. If you are moving out of state, your broker may be able to offer you an advice where you can find these services at your new place.
- Consider hiring a professional cleaning company for your new home if you can afford it. Of course you can do it by yourself, but you don’t need any additional stress.
- Cancel all your services. There are number of services that we use, but need to be canceled before leaving the old home. Phone, internet, electricity, gas, water, all should be taken care of before you move out. Also don’t forget to call your new local utility companies at least one week in advance to get your cable, internet and phone set up at your new home.
- Obtain a list of things you cannot move. Some common kitchen and household supplies are not allowed in the moving truck. For example you are not allowed to take flammables, oil, paint, gasoline, etc. You need a proper disposal facility in advance of the move. On the other hand when moving a kitchen, pack well the electronics you are taking with yourself. This is one of the important things to do before moving out.
- Contact a reliable moving company. Get a free moving quote from a reliable moving company that suits your needs. You can do it directly from us here. It is a lot easier to move with professionals than moving by yourself. An importnat thing to do before moving in is to calculate your moving costs.
If you have children be sure to check the new school options before you arrive. You can find that information on the Internet. Check the educational opportunities for your children in advance. Also, you need to contact the new school to arrange all the paperwork, so that your kids don’t miss classes.
Finding a reliable moving company is one of the most important things you should take care in advance if you want smoother and stress free moving experience.
I hope you like our things to do before moving in or out guide. Let us know if we’ve missed something important in the comments below. The Moving Blog wishes you good luck with your upcoming move.
Posted on Nov 3, 2009; Last updated: Jun 4, 2013