Heavy items may get you to feel a bit at a loss when relocating. Indeed, packing and moving heavy objects can sometimes be very difficult. When packing heavy items to move there are a number of risks that this action brings. First of all, here is the risk for the health of those packing and lifting the heavy objects. Secondly, for the optimum relocation of such items you need to know how to find the best and most appropriate packing supplies for them. Thirdly, the transportation, loading/ unloading and unpacking of those items have their own rules as well. So, how do you pack heavy items for shipping?
How to pack heavy items for shipping
As you are planning your relocation, packing heavy items for moving is almost always inevitable as most homes have such household goods. How to pack a heavy item for a move so that it is packed and shipped safely at its final destination? If you want to move such items yourself, then you need to know what to do. An option that will save you your health, effort and time is to call a mover for a quote. After all, it is a totally different thing to rely on professionals for a job – the risks are much smaller than if an item is handled by people without much experience and/ or expertise in moving. Still, if you are intended on packing heavy objects yourself, here is what to do.
What will happen to your items if they get dropped, crushed or thrown? How will they survive? Heavy items are not always unbreakable. How to pack a heavy item in such a way that it will be able to survive the risks of the shipping? First of all, finding the appropriate packing materials is very important. If the item is breakable and/ or valuable, you need to use a way for packing that will keep it safe. You can use packing paper or defect newspaper print. Bubble wrap is also an option – decide which packing supplies are more appropriate also considering the cost of it (bubble wrap is more expensive). You can use cardboard from broken boxes to fill in the empty space inside the boxes – for cushioning. When packing heavy objects imagine that they are already on their way, being shipped, what can happen to them and how will the packing you have planned protect them? Run the transportation process in your mind – it will help you spot if you are missing something. The best scenario when packing heavy items for moving is:
- Get the appropriate packing materials.
- Wrap well the items. You can use bubble wrap or any other packing material you find appropriate. If the item is very heavy, you may need to put a thicker layer of packing materials. Remember to tape well the packaging so that it will stick. Don’t use thin moving tape or masking tape because it will not hold larger weight.
- Place them in a sound cardboard box that will be able to hold their weight.
- Use bubble wrap, packing peanuts or pieces of cardboardto fill in the empty space inside the box. Never use crumpled newsprint or crumpled packing paper as it won’t do the job – it will compress flat and will not provide protection. There should be nothing moving in the box. The object packed should be stable inside. If it moves during shipping it could get damaged and it could damage surrounding objects as well. Heavier items are more likely to shift within a box.
- After that place the so packed box in another box that is an inch or two wider and again use enough, strong extra padding between the two boxes.
- If you have fragile items, mark that on the box. Also write down “this side up” – it will help get the moving process right. Besides, you need to do the best to protect your belongings.
- Distribute the weight between boxes and evenly within each box otherwise they may tilt during carrying. Place the heavy item at the center of the box and then place cushioning material around it.
- Don’t make boxes too heavy otherwise they may break and there is a health risk for the moving labor or whoever will be lifting those boxes.
- Items that are heavier than 50 lbs best be packed professionally. If you will be packing heavy objects with weight above 80 lbs it is compulsory to get a moving company. In such a case pallets may be used. You can buy them yourself or contact a professional residential packing company to do the packing.
- Either way, get moving insurance.
Knowing how to pack heavy items for shipping will ensure their safe transportation. For more packing tips for other types of household goods you can click here.