Most people prefer to move when they already have a job in the new city they’ll be living it. And yet, for a wide number of reasons, sometimes you may have to relocate without having a secured job. It is not very convenient firstly because you don’t know how much time it will take you to get a job and secondly because you need to have some money ready for your move. Organizing moving without a job or money is not easy but with the right planning it can be made. Just carefully assess the situation you’re in and the future prospects and you could move somewhere without a job and without a problem.
How to Relocate without a Job or Money
- The best thing to do when planning how to relocate without a job is to start saving money as soon as you know you will be moving. Have some extra money. Even when you have some extra unplanned expenses may come up so always have more money than you think you will use – best would be to double what you’ve planned to spend. In other words, if you can avoid moving without a job available – do it.
- In the relocation process think of ways to save money. This could be getting moving boxes free of charge or cheaply. There are many ways to do that.
- Calculate realistically your expenses when moving without a job. Movers can help you in this respect. Making a move somewhere without a job will be simpler if you know what costs to expect. That is why before hiring a particular moving company ask for a quote from several different movers.
- A great way to save some money from the moving itself is to evaluate what you will be taking with you. When moving without a job or money a great way to save is to sell what you can – things you won’t need or use. In this way you will also make some money.
- Visit the city you want to live in – for a job interview or just to get to know the area. When you’re thinking about how to relocate without a job or money this is a great approach because you can visit different neighborhood and ask at local stores about crime rate, prices and rent. You will also be able to see prices of different things and get an idea if the city is more or less expensive than what you’re already paying for. If you want to save some money additionally you can try couch-surfing. In this way you may also be able to make some friends in the new city when moving without a job lined up or money.
Moving without a Job Lined up
- If you’re going to move somewhere without a job firstly research the job market. If there are no jobs available in your field which you can perform you should either look for another place to live or be ready to take a job which requires different skills. Look online for such a job. Sometimes local government websites present free job positions. You can also review the ads at local newspapers and magazines when moving without a job lined up. They should give you a realistic idea of what employment opportunities you can expect to find in the area.
- In the meantime when you plan to move somewhere without a job start saving money early. Take some time and don’t hurry to relocate. If you start saving early or get more work or find a second job – for a few months you will have saved enough money for a relocation.
- Before relocating without a job lined up try to find employment. Apply for a job by sending your CV and – if requested – a cover letter. Explain to your potential employers when you will be moving and when you can start working. If you can go especially for an interview note when you can do it and point out the dates. If not, explain you are available for a phone interview and point out which time is appropriate for it. If you’re working you may not be able to set half an hour or an hour for a phone conversation at any point through the day.
- When moving without a job lined up you need to make sure you have enough money at your disposal for the longest period you suppose you may end up without a job in your new home. Include in your estimations rent, utilities, insurance, living costs besides the moving expenses themselves of course. Have in mind the area you will be moving to – if it is more expensive you’ll certainly need to have some savings beforehand.
- If you possess narrow expertise in a certain field you may have to wait longer to get the right job for you. On the other hand, if you have a various background of jobs and knowledge you may be able to get a job quickly – in terms of a week or two.
How to Move without a Job or Money Last Tip
How to move without a job or money is now clearer to you. Yet, consider well the pros and cons and don’t rush if you don’t have a good plan. If you find this article useful please spare a moment to share it from the bar to the left so that more people will be able to use this information. Thank you!
Posted on Jan 7, 2013; Last updated: Sep 5, 2015
Find Best Movers Near You - Local & Long Distance Movers Reviews
Select your state below: