You are about to move and you don’t know what to expect in terms of pricing? What is cheap and what is expensive, what is normal for professional movers? Finding and hiring real professional movers is not an easy task. Most of the moving companies provide free moving quotes, but what does the final amount tells us.
In most cases you are in one of the two main pricing categories – Local Movers or Interstate Movers:
Local Movers Cost
Local movers charge by the hour. The estimate you should receive by the moving company should be based on an hourly cost and estimated hours to complete the move. Sometimes movers have additional fees and you should ask in advance about them to make sure the estimate you get is as close as the final movers cost. Usually mover charge 1 hour as a travel fee (the time the movers get to your location and back from the destination) with the regular hourly rate. Most professional movers rates are from $85/hour to $95/hour depending on the date. Busy dates are more expensive (in the end of the month, especially in the Summer). These prices include 2 men and a truck. So a sample mini move of 3 hours will cost you approximately 3hours + 1 hour travel time = 4hours x $85 in the best case scenario comes to $340 total. Most movers will ask for a deposit when scheduling the move so they can reserve the date for you. Click here to have a free moving cost estimate by professional movers.
Interstate Movers Cost
How much does it cost to hire movers cross country?
The cost of the interstate moves, movers cross country and state to state moves are determined by the weight. Usually the moving company will determine your moving weight by asking for the complete furniture and boxes list on the phone (or by email) in order to prepare the moving quote for you. When providing your household items list try to be exactly accurate to have the closest possible moving estimate. Some movers charge light and bulky fees if you have too big items with relatively low weight. For example if you are moving from a 2 bedroom house (with a garage, basement, living room, kitchen, etc) in most cases your stuff will weigh about 5-6000 pounds. If you move it to about 1000 miles away it will cost you about $3500-$4000 for the complete move. If you receive a moving quote for a lot less than this amount, you are dealing with non professionals or they deliberately lower your costs just to book and you. If this is the case you should expect a raise once they have picked your stuff and before the delivery. Click here for a complete Interstate move estimate to know how much does it cost to hire movers cross country.
How much does it cost to hire movers
This question could have very different answers depending on your moving locations, type of move (local or interstate) and the moving company. Here are some more unexpected factors that come into play when calculating the total cost:
- Charges for handling bulky items – this category includes pianos, organs, canoes and other items with either extraordinary proportions that take a lot of space or very heavy items (that weigh more than most items for the same volume. Some companies have a flat fee for moving pianos and organs. It is very important that the company knows about these items in advance as the movers may be unable to move them if they come unprepared on the moving day.
- Long carry fee usually applies due to the impossibility to park near the door to your building or because the walking distance from your apartment to the moving truck is very long. Having too much distance will prolong the move significantly and movers may change more. If possible, try to reserve a parking spot or to arrange a parking permit and reserve the best parking spot prior your move.
- Cancellation fees might be charged if you cancel your move after previously booking it. Sometimes that could apply also when you want to change the moving date and the mover cannot accommodate you on that new date. This fee is usually equal or less than the deposit amount you have with your mover to book the date.
- Storage fees usually apply when you request delayed delivery of your items. In those cases moving companies will have to store your belongings. Depending on the moving company, this fee could be a significant charge.
There are also some uncommon charges that you should be aware of. Best practice would be to ask your moving company about these and try to negotiate better terms in advance.
- Express delivery charge or Exact delivery date charge – this usually applies when you want a fast delivery with a state to state move or when you request an exact delivery date for your cross country move.
- Disposal fees (environmental charges) usually apply when you request unpacking of your belongings and the moving company will have to dispose the used moving boxes and additional packing materials left from the relocation.
- Extra stop charge usually occurs with local moves, when you pick up or drop off furniture from multiple locations. This will cause the movers to drive additional distance and spend more time.
This is why it is always recommended having moving estimates from multiple moving companies as every company has its own set of parameters when estimating the move cost. Also, negotiating a discount in advance is another option worth exploring.
Posted on Jul 1, 2010; Last updated: Jan 23, 2015