Moving is hardly ever an easy thing to do. You have so many things to consider and sometimes – so little time. One of the most challenging relocations is downsizing from a house to an apartment. At first it may seem like there is less to do because you have fewer items to pack and move, and therefore the moving cost will be lower. This is a good point, but the process of actually getting there is longer than it is on a regular house-to-house or apartment-to-apartment move. What is the best way to downsize your home and how do you make it happen?
How To Prepare To Downsize Your Home In 3 Steps
Downsizing could be quite of a challenge if you don’t know where to start from, so here is our list which will guide you step by step into this tough process.
- De-clutter. You need to begin downsizing your home by removing all the clutter and garbage that you may have inside. Throw away all obvious things like broken electronics, tools which are no longer working, old fashioned staff you’re never going to wear, the broken hose in the garden, etc. which hangs around long forgotten in the attic, garage and basement. In other words, everything that is in front of your eyes around the house and is a must-go anyway.
- Attic, basement, garage, garden. The easiest way to continue downsizing is to go through the least used rooms and premises in your home. This could also be the guest room if you have one, for instance. In such places around the house it is easy to store things you don’t want or need in the moment and then forget about them. But they are still there and will not clean themselves up.
- Clean up your car. If you have the habit of hoarding things, you may have been leaving things in your car as well. Remember to check the seats and the trunk. Make the downsizing uncompromising – this is what will make it efficient!
Downsizing Your House In 5 Steps
How do you actually decide what is worth taking and why? These ideas will help you take a decision!
- Can you use it at all? There may be items in your home that are broken, torn, or worn out. In other words, they do not longer serve you. So, how about just tossing them away? You don’t need all that. When downsizing from a house to an apartment this is the easiest decision to take – throwing away what is actually useless.
- Is it old fashioned? If you really care about fashion then this is an important decision to make. Do you have items that are out of fashion like clothes, shoes and accessories? Be honest with yourself. If you haven’t used it for the last two years, chances are you may never do it again. Things that you don’t want in your home and those that are outdated could go away.
- Is it of emotional value to you? There are items that are dear to us which hold an emotional value like gifts from people we love and cherish. Those could be souvenir or practical things like clothes. Either way, if you really care about it and want it in your next home, pack it and take it.
- Do you really need it? There are some things that we actually need and some – that only fill in the space in the shelves, drawers and racks on our home, collect dust and nothing more. You don’t need to pay to move all that, especially if it is something bigger and/ or heavier!
- Do you have room for it? It is important to take measures of your future home and decide what will and what will not fit in it. Why would you pay to move your sofa if there is not enough space in the room for it? Make a floor plan of your next home in order to make the estimations right.
- What do you do with the things that are in a good condition and can be used but you have decided not to move? You can organize a moving sale and sell whatever you can. You can separate kids’ clothes and shoes, and toys, and donate them to an orphanage. You can just give away some things. Of course, if you still want to keep some things but will not have space for them in your new home, you can always use a storage unit. And remember to choose a mover carefully!
Does downsizing your house still look like a complicated task to you? If you have questions that you want to ask or experience that you want to share, you can make a comment!
Posted on Sep 25, 2015
Find Best Movers Near You - Local & Long Distance Movers Reviews
Select your state below: